Dermal Filler Treatments
As we age, skin begins to sag and fine lines and wrinkles start to appear. This is largely due to the fact that underlying collagen and fat that we need for firm, tight skin, begins to break down. This loss of volume is a natural part of ageing, however, it can leave behind unwanted changes to our skin such as lines and creases.
As well as it being a natural process, factors like sun exposure and smoking can affect our faces look less youthful and older. You may have noticed that your cheeks look flatter and have lost their fullness, or that your skin around your mouth is less firm. All of this combined together can work to make us look older and more tired. Dermal filler injections can fight back against deeper wrinkles, add more volume to sagging areas and produce results similar to a facelift without surgery.
We also have clients who are perhaps younger and haven’t begun this ageing process. Nevertheless, they still want a more feminine, defined or a slimmer look for their face. In these cases, filler can also really help. Combined with local anaesthetic, Dermal Fillers are injected into the skin to push out lines from underneath, plumping the skin and allowing it to appear smoother, firmer and more defined. Every client has a different vision of what they want their end result to look like. Dermal Fillers come in different levels of thickness, the thicker the product the deeper it will be injected into the skin to plump out deep lines, fill scars or plump lips.
We only use semi-permanent Dermal Fillers composed of Hyaluronic Acid. Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found throughout our bodies. It is in our skin, joints, bones and eyes therefore when injected into the skin it is naturally absorbed by the body meaning results appear natural and are not permanent like other alternatives
- Smooth’s out those deeper lines
- Improves the appearance of fine lines
- Creates a lifting effect
- Gives a more fresh and youthful appearance
- Makes features look softer
- Works well when combined with Botulinum Toxin A and other skin treatments
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
Hyaluronic acid is a natural constituent of skin, young skin is continuously moisturised from within by this naturally occurring sugar. It attracts and holds on to water to provide hydration, structure and volume. The skin’s levels of hyaluronic acid dramatically diminish with age causing skin to become dry and lose volume; wrinkles and grooves begin to appear. Gravity also pulls the skin down resulting in folds and sagging.
Each dermal filler we use in clinic is a smooth gel formulation with minimally cross linked hyaluronic acid, it is injected into the skin to fill the area of volume loss and smooth the skin and also to lift the tissues where folds and sagging has occurred. This process can greatly enhance your facial features and plump out and fill in fine lines and wrinkles. Dermal fillers can help add volume to cheeks, smooth and contour the face and correct shallow and deep lines and wrinkles.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the practitioner to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.If you still have questions about this treatment please contact us.
Secure your booking today online or call 01780 751 550 to book.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- tart taking an over the counter anti-histamine one week prior to treatment and continue to take until one week post treatment.
- Drink at least 2-3 litres of water in the days leading up to treatment as hydration is crucial to obtaining a good result because, dermal filler relies on drawing water to the treated cells, helping you get the full filler augmentation effects.
- Do prep your skin. Prior to treatment, make sure to look after your skin and keep it in the best condition. Moisturise and avoid damaged pores.
- Do use sun cream, pre-and-post treatment, to protect your skin.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours pre-and post treatment.
- For a week before and after the procedure, avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, Ibuprofen and Vitamin E, as well as certain food supplements such as fish oil, liquorice, garlic, ginger, ginkgo and green tea.
- Avoid sun and heat exposure
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
- On arrival to the clinic you be taken to a private room to have topical numbing cream applied, to ease discomfort during procedure.
- As the cream takes around 20-30 minutes to take affect, you will be able to relax in our relaxation area.
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have any phobia’s to needles.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
Dermal Fillers are well known for delivering outstanding results. Results from Dermal Fillers begin to show immediately after treatment and can last up to 6-9 months.To give your filler the best chance of lasting as long as possible, there are filler aftercare steps you can take. If you look after your skin with sun cream and follow a good skin care regime then your dermal fillers will last longer.
In addition to this, for the best dermal filler aftercare, do not squeeze, massage or mess around with the treated area, as this could cause the filler to break down more quickly and mean you get to enjoy the results for less time. In areas of the face that we naturally move less, your fillers will naturally last longer.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- Anyone allergic to any of the ingredients in the dermal filler (Hyaluronic acid is a natural constituent of skin therefore you would not be allergic to this) Lidocaine is usually present within the hyaluronic acid gel formulation.
- Skin infection at the injection site.
- Dermal filler treatment is contraindicated for some people with certain auto-immune diseases.
- If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast-feeding (It is not known if the dermal filler can be harmful to your unborn child).
- Also tell us if you are taking any medicines including herbal as some may be contraindicated.
After treatment, slight redness, swelling, itching and some tenderness at the site of injection may occur. This is normal and will generally disappear over the next 7-14 days.
- Keep well hydrated (2-3 litres of water) for the next 3 days
- Avoid alcohol 24 hours after treatment
- Apply some ice to area if swollen/tender- such as an ice lolly or ice pack
- Avoid strenuous exercise and heat treatments for 48 hours
- Avoid creams with Alpha Hydroxy Acid or Glycolic acid around the area
- Avoid direct sunlight and wear a high SPF sunscreen to prolong the duration of the fillers
- If you suffer with cold sores, there is a risk of activating them
- If taking aspirin, clopidrogrel, warfarin and other blood thinning medication you should be aware that there will be an increased likelihood of bleeding or bruising at injection site(s).
- If itching or swelling occur, a general over the counter antihistamine can be taken for a period of one week.
- Arnica cream/capsules can be taken to help prevent bruising.
- Keep the area sterile
- Alcohol, smoking and sunshine will reduce the life of filler.